Special Collections and University Archives maintains over 1,000,000 photographs, slides, and digital images. The majority of these images focus on Iowa State University. Only a selection of these collections are available online through Digital Collections, however most of them will need to be viewed by visiting the Department.
Copies may be requested; see the Scans and Reproductions page for more information. Please allow two weeks for fulfillment of image requests.
These collections document Iowa State University through photographs and 35 mm slides with the earliest photographs of campus dating back to the 1870s. The inventories below will guide users in locating images, however in most cases researchers will have to visit the department in order to view the actual images. The department also holds digital images created by the University Photographer dating from 2000-2015 and these can only be accessed by contacting University Archives directly.
- University Photograph Collection, 1870-2014, bulk 1900-1990
- University Slide Collection, 1950-2001, bulk 1990-2001
- University Postcard Collection
- University Photographer Collection, 2000-2015 (contact the department)
- University Marketing Photography - Brand Standards (modern stock images maintained by University Marketing)
- Engineering Communications and Marketing Department Photographs and Slides, 1897-2006 (RS 11/1/8)
- Iowa Agriculture and Home Economics Experiment Station Agricultural Engineering Photographs, 1942-1970 (RS 9/2/6)
- College of Business Photographs and Slides, 1984-2001 (RS 27/1/5)
- College of Design Photographs and Slides, 1976-2000 (RS 26/1/4)
Photographs may be found throughout University Archives collections in scrapbooks and alongside paper records. Browse the finding aids in CARDinal for more information or contact us for assistance.
These collections contain significant numbers of images related to Iowa's agriculture, rural life, and local history. Some may also include images of the larger Midwest region. These collections have been donated to the department largely by private individuals and organizations. It is important to note that this is just a selection of the collections held by the department that contain visual images related to agriculture and rural life.
Tom Becker Photographs (MS 681)
Friedrich Fritsch Photography Collection (Garner, Iowa) (MS 539)
- Helen D. Gunderson Papers (RS 21/7/92)